South River, Ontario, Canada
Elements of complexity
- The connexion of the new structure to the existing dam.
- The design and construction of a free-surface headrace canal with a forebay pit as well as a fiberglass penstock.
This project consisted of the construction of a small 880 kW hydropower plant with a 20 m head. It included the partial demolition of the existing power plant and the construction of access roads, the water intake, the headrace canal, a fore bay pit, the penstock and the new power plant located on the old structure’s existing foundation.
Hydrosys was responsible for every step of the project, from the feasibility study to the commissioning. Being in charge of the engineering and construction management for the entire project, Hydrosys completed the hydraulic calculations, the electromechanical equipment selection and the design of all the building’s structures. Hydrosys also negotiated with the different ministries to obtain the necessary permits and supervised the construction work.
- Feasibility analysis.
- Environmental assessment.
- Assessment of hydropower potential.
- Design of concrete and steel components, hydropower plant, equipment, etc.
- Regulatory authorizations and permits approval process and detailed engineering for construction (2007-2008).
- Construction management.
- Construction supervision.
- Commissioning (Fall 2010).