2009 to present
Elements of complexity
- International project with a long intake canal.
- High head and complex hydrology requiring further flow measurements.
- Option of building a small structural dam or two dams and tunnel.
Rio Power S.A. mandated Hydrosys to perform the engineering of the Gualcarque Waterpower Project in Honduras. The project will provide hydroelectric power for industrial and domestic markets at competitive and stable costs, significantly lower than those achieved through fossil fuels. The project includes the construction of a ±40 m high dam and a 5 km long penstock which will reach the powerhouse located 180 meters lower. The first phase will generate approximately 20 MW of green energy and a second phase could be added to the project to provide another 5 MW. Topographic surveying began in November 2009 and further engineering has followed in 2010. Project development has been successfully completed, land leases and acquisition as well as social and environmental licensing, further hydrology studies, geotechnical investigation work and cost estimations should be completed in 2013-2014 along with the financing agreements. Construction is planned to begin in 2015.
Hydrosys was hired during the early phases of the project and is responsible for everything from the prefeasibility study to the conceptual engineering necessary for environmental approvals and land rights acquisitions. In the construction phase, Hydrosys will be in charge of the detailed engineering, the construction management as well as the management of the entire project (EPCM).
- Prefeasibility study.
- Site visit.
- Hydrology and geotechnical studies.
- Evaluation of hydro power potential and equipment selection.
- Conceptual design of dam, intake, concrete components, conveyance system, power plant, hydro mechanical equipment, etc.
- Cost estimation and financial analysis.
- Conceptual drawings and technical specifications.