Côte-Nord, Québec, Canada
Elements of complexity
- Dam break analysis on a section of river containing three retaining structures.
- Stability analysis of concrete structures.
- Stability analysis of enclosure dikes.
Innergex hired Hydrosys to perform a dam safety evaluation of three of their dams located on Portneuf River, more specifically the dams PN1, PN2 and PN3. An inspection of the three dams was done in 2008, after which studies of the dams’ hydrology, hydraulics and stability were performed in 2009. These studies examined the risk presented by the dams to the adjacent infrastructures, including the risk posed by successive dam failures of all three dams. The installation includes four weirs, two intakes, four enclosure dikes and three small hydoelectric stations which produce a total of 28 MW.
Hydrosys was responsible for conducting the necessary studies in order to complete the safety evaluation.
- Visit to perform inspections for dam safety evaluations.
- Drafting of the three inspection reports including conclusions and recommendations concerning the state of the dams.
- Hydraulic and hydrology studies.
- Dam break study for the three structures.
- HEC RAS modelling of the river reach and structures.
- Characteristics and layout of the incremental flood zones.
- Review of the consequential water levels following a dam rupture in accordance with the Dam Safety Act.
- Review of the dam design and stability studies for the retaining structures.
- Review of the water management plans and the emergency plans.
- Review of the dam classification.
- Drafting of the three dam security evaluation reports including recommendations and corrective measures.