Durham, Ontario, Canada
Elements of complexity
- Dam break study just upstream of a village.
- Frazil ice assessment.
Dam safety assessment of Middle Durham dam, located in the town of Durham in the West Grey Municipality. This study was completed in accordance with Ontario’s regulations pertaining to the dam security: 1999 Ontario Dam Safety Guidelines (ODSG) draft document, Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act Technical Guide – Criteria and Standards for Approva”.
Hydrosys was responsible for conducting the necessary studies in order to complete the safety evaluation. Such studies included dam inspection, slope stability assessment, structural stability assessment, hydraulics and hydrology and dam break analysis. Hydrosys also conducted a survey campaign to validate the extent of floodplains and supervised core drilling necessary to validate foundation conditions.
- Review of available information regarding the dam (past inspections, reports, studies, log books, etc.).
- Dam inspection.
- Hydrology and hydraulic study.
- Dam break study.
- Implementation and validation of floodplains according to the dam break results in dry and flood situation.
- Review of consequence level in case of dam break.
- Review of the dam design and dam stability in accordance with the Canadian dam association’s guidelines using a homemade analysis program.
- Dam safety assessment.
- Stability assessment of embankments.
- Structural analysis of concrete structure.
- Frazil ice impact study.
- Design of concept for new ice boom.