Municipality of Rivière-au-Tonnerre, Québec, Canada
2010 to now
Elements of complexity
- Design work included that of a 600 m long, under pressure tunnel with a steel liner on the lower section.
- Supply and accessibility problems during the construction involving an impact on the project costs and requiring a design optimization.
The Sheldrake hydroelectric installation has a 25 MW power capacity and is located on the Sheldrake river in the town of Rivière-au-Tonnerre in Minganie, near Baie-Comeau (Québec). The project consists of building a concrete dam-bridge, a spillway, a cofferdam, the water intake, a pressure tunnel with a steel liner and the power plant.
Detailed engineering including a maximization of technical solutions as well as assisting AXOR during every step of the project, aided in the hydro power project’s development.
- Supervision of the geotechnical investigation.
- Techno-economical optimization studies.
- Structural stability assessment.
- Governmental authorization applications.
- Tunnel and tunnel liner engineering.
- Detailed drawings and specifications for every component of the facility.
- Drawings and specifications for the construction of the dam, the spillway, the cofferdam, the water intake, the headrace, the tunnel and the main embankment.
- Engineering of the bridge for heavy trucks, engineering of the steel access pathway and of the other compensating measures.
- Technical support during construction.