Rivière-du-Loup, Québec, Canada
2010 to present
- Plan to have a work sequence limiting the plant’s closing time in order to minimize production losses.
- Transient analysis for new steel penstock and analysis to measure strength transferred to the anchor blocks and supports.
- Injection method of the wood crib dam with concrete overlay.
The Hydro-Fraser hydropower project is a privately-owned site producing electricity on Hydro-Québec’s network since 1992. This facility is located in the Fraser pulp mill’s old building and was using the Fraser mill’s old wooden crib dam, its water intake and its 10’ wooden penstock. These infrastructures needed to be restored in order to ensure the continuity of the facility and to meet the renewable contract conditions for selling energy onto Hydro-Québec grid.
Hydrosys was hired to undertake the necessary engineering in order to proceed with the structure rehabilitation, the hydraulic, structural and hydro mechanical engineering for the construction of its new components such as: concrete dam, main embankment, spillway and new gate, steel penstocks, anchor blocks and supports, as well as varied excavation work.
Furthermore, Hydrosys has prepared the reports, drawings and specifications and has estimated the budget required for the project. Authorization requests, applications for certificates of authorization, management and site supervision are also handled by Hydrosys.
- Hydraulic studies to evaluate the discharge capacity of the new dam and the pressure surge for the penstock.
- Preparation of the technical reports needed for the authorization requests according to the Law, and applications for certificates of authorization.
- Analyses of the works’ stability (spillway dam, headrace, water intake, anchor blocks of the pipe, etc.)
- Preparing the drawings and specifications for the rehabilitation and design of the new water intake, penstock and plant.
- Construction cost estimation.
- Management and site supervision.